|Printable version||E-mail this to a friend|
Summer Discoveries at Stonehenge
Two ditches belonging to the Stonehenge Avenue buried beneath the modern roadbed of the A344 have been uncovered during works to decommission the road as part of English Heritage's project to transform the setting and visitor experience of Stonehenge.
The two ditches represent either side of The Avenue, a long linear feature to the north-east of Stonehenge linking it with the River Avon. It has long been considered as the formal processional approach to the monument and is aligned with the solstice axis of Stonehenge. But its connection with Stonehenge had been severed by the A344 for centuries as the road cut through the delicate earthwork at an almost perpendicular angle.
The two ditches were found in their expected positions near to the Heel Stone, about 24 metres from the entrance to monument.
Missing Piece in the Jigsaw
Heather Sebire, properties curator and archaeologist at English Heritage, said: "The part of the Avenue that was cut through by the road has obviously been destroyed forever, but we were hopeful that archaeology below the road would survive. And here we have it - the missing piece in the jigsaw. It is very exciting to find a piece of physical evidence that officially makes the connection which we were hoping for."
Dr Nick Snashall, National Trust Archaeologist for the World Heritage Site, said "This is a once in several life time's opportunity to investigate the Avenue beneath the old road surface. It has enabled us to confirm with total certainty for the first time that Stonehenge and its Avenue were once linked and will be so again shortly."
The Avenue is difficult to identify on the ground but is clearly visible on aerial photographs. Once the A344 has been restored to grass in the summer of 2014, interpretation features will be put in place to clearly mark out the solstice alignment to enable visitors to appreciate the position of the Avenue and its intimate connection with and significance to Stonehenge.
Parchmarks at the Stone Circle
The recent prolonged spell of dry weather has also led to some exciting discoveries within the stone circle. Two eagle-eyed members of staff spotted some dry areas of grass, or parchmarks, amongst the stone circle in July. After investigation by English Heritage experts they seem to be positions of three holes where stones 17, 18 and 19 might have stood on the south-west side of the outer sarsen circle.
Susan Greaney, senior properties historian at English Heritage, said: "There is still debate among archaeologists whether Stonehenge was a full or incomplete circle, and the discovery of these holes for missing stones has strengthened the case for it being a full circle, albeit uneven and less perfectly formed in the south-west quadrant."
NOTE: This story as reported in the Guardian on 9 September contains a number of inaccuracies. The article, including the headline, failed to distinguish between fact and interpretation, and presented one expert’s view as established fact. It also gives the impression that the expert’s view has been adopted by English Heritage. This is very confusing for your readers. English Heritage is firmly of the view that Stonehenge was built as a prehistoric temple aligned with the movements of the sun, contrary to what was implied in the article.
Professor Mike Parker Pearson’s theory about the naturally formed ridges is interesting, but is by no means established. English Heritage’s role was to record any archaeology that survived under the A344 and present the results of the recent discoveries clearly to the public. English Heritage’s interpretation of Stonehenge in general will be presented at the new visitor centre due to open in December 2013.
Latest News from
RARE PORTRAIT OF KENWOOD ARCHITECT, JAMES ADAM, ON DISPLAY10/08/2015 15:25:00
A painting not seen in almost 150 years is being loaned to English Heritage for temporary display at Kenwood from 7th September 2015 to 4th January 2016.
BACK WITH A BANG - RESTORED FIRST WORLD WAR GUN TO FIRE AGAIN31/07/2015 16:25:00
One hundred years after guns on the White Cliffs first successfully repelled a German Zeppelin raid, Dover Castle will once again resound to artillery fire following the restoration by English Heritage of a rare anti-aircraft gun used in the First World War, thanks to a grant of £272,600 from the Heritage Lottery Fund.
KIDS MAKE HISTORY BY 'TAKING OVER' STONEHENGE THIS SUMMER30/07/2015 07:10:00
For the first time in its 4,500-year-old history, children are invited to step inside the stone circle at Stonehenge and discover it without any grown-ups, as part of English Heritage’s new Kids Takeover summer season.