|Printable version||E-mail this to a friend|
Appointing Former PM's Chief of Staff as Paris Ambassador ‘undermines professionalism of Diplomatic Service’, says FDA
Responding to the appointment of David Cameron's former Chief of Staff Ed Llewellyn as the next British Ambassador at Paris, Dave Penman, General Secretary of the FDA - which represents staff in the Diplomatic Service - said:
"Ambassadorial posts are key to securing the UK's interests abroad. Diplomats undergo years of training and are initially selected through open and fair competition.
"Whatever the individual merits Mr Llewellyn may have, the appointment undermines the principles of selection on merit that underpin the political neutrality of the civil service.
"Perhaps more crucially, if Ambassadorial appointments are seen to be the gift of outgoing Prime Ministers, this undermines both this appointment and the professionalism of the entire service."
Notes for editors
- The FDA is the trade union for the UK's senior public servants and professionals at grade HEO and above. FDA membership includes more than 18,000 senior civil servants, diplomats, Government policy advisors, prosecutors, tax professionals, economists, solicitors and other professionals working across Government and the NHS.
- The FDA (formerly the First Division Association) should be referred to simply as "The FDA" and can be described as "the senior public servants' union".
- The FDA can be found on Twitter @FDA_union and at www.fda.org.uk.
- For further information contact:
- Dave Penman, General Secretary, tel: 020 7401 5555 or 07967 503827.
- Kay Hender, Communications Manager, tel: 020 7401 5555 or 07980 700747.
Latest News from
Ministers should face same consequences as civil servants for leaking, says FDA06/12/2016 11:20:00
FDA General Secretary Dave Penman has commented on the memo sent to civil servants threatening dismissal for any 'leaks'.
Autumn Statement: HMRC union welcomes single fiscal event announcement and tax system measures but stresses need for proper resourcing24/11/2016 13:15:00
Responding to yesterday's Autumn Statement, the Association of Revenue and Customs (ARC) welcomed the Chancellor's move to one fiscal event.
Brexit has changed everything - except the civil service being properly resourced to prepare for it, says FDA24/11/2016 10:25:00
FDA General Secretary Dave Penman has responded to the 2016 Autumn Statement.
Brexit speculation: Autumn Statement is Government’s opportunity to outline how civil service will be resourced, says FDA16/11/2016 10:25:00
FDA General Secretary Dave Penman has commented on speculation surrounding the Brexit challenge facing the civil service, following the publication of a leaked memo in yesterday's Times.
FDA union teams up with cross-Government race networks to invest in BME leaders27/10/2016 13:05:00
The FDA is pleased to announce a partnership with new senior cross-Government race networks, helping to address the continuing under-representation of BME leaders at senior levels within the civil service.