|Printable version||E-mail this to a friend|
Appointing Former PM's Chief of Staff as Paris Ambassador ‘undermines professionalism of Diplomatic Service’, says FDA
Responding to the appointment of David Cameron's former Chief of Staff Ed Llewellyn as the next British Ambassador at Paris, Dave Penman, General Secretary of the FDA - which represents staff in the Diplomatic Service - said:
"Ambassadorial posts are key to securing the UK's interests abroad. Diplomats undergo years of training and are initially selected through open and fair competition.
"Whatever the individual merits Mr Llewellyn may have, the appointment undermines the principles of selection on merit that underpin the political neutrality of the civil service.
"Perhaps more crucially, if Ambassadorial appointments are seen to be the gift of outgoing Prime Ministers, this undermines both this appointment and the professionalism of the entire service."
Notes for editors
- The FDA is the trade union for the UK's senior public servants and professionals at grade HEO and above. FDA membership includes more than 18,000 senior civil servants, diplomats, Government policy advisors, prosecutors, tax professionals, economists, solicitors and other professionals working across Government and the NHS.
- The FDA (formerly the First Division Association) should be referred to simply as "The FDA" and can be described as "the senior public servants' union".
- The FDA can be found on Twitter @FDA_union and at www.fda.org.uk.
- For further information contact:
- Dave Penman, General Secretary, tel: 020 7401 5555 or 07967 503827.
- Kay Hender, Communications Manager, tel: 020 7401 5555 or 07980 700747.
Latest News from
Government can’t rely on ‘make do and mend’ approach to civil service delivering Brexit, says FDA13/10/2016 13:10:00
Speaking on BBC News yesterday, FDA General Secretary Dave Penman again called on the Government to make clear how it will resource the UK's exit from the European Union.
HMRC consultation: Proper resourcing is needed to tackle tax avoidance, says ARC union17/08/2016 14:12:00
Association of Revenue and Customs (ARC) President Vicky Johnson has responded to the publication of HMRC's consultation document on strengthening tax avoidance sanctions and deterrents.
Civil service must be properly resourced to deliver Government commitments following UK exit from EU, says FDA27/06/2016 10:20:00
FDA General Secretary Dave Penman has responded to the UK's vote to leave the European Union.
Vital public services put at risk with civil servants paying a high price for swingeing Government cuts, says FDA union13/05/2016 10:05:00
General Secretary Dave Penman has launched the FDA's 2016 working hours report at its annual conference in London yesterday.