|Printable version||E-mail this to a friend|
Appointing Former PM's Chief of Staff as Paris Ambassador ‘undermines professionalism of Diplomatic Service’, says FDA
Responding to the appointment of David Cameron's former Chief of Staff Ed Llewellyn as the next British Ambassador at Paris, Dave Penman, General Secretary of the FDA - which represents staff in the Diplomatic Service - said:
"Ambassadorial posts are key to securing the UK's interests abroad. Diplomats undergo years of training and are initially selected through open and fair competition.
"Whatever the individual merits Mr Llewellyn may have, the appointment undermines the principles of selection on merit that underpin the political neutrality of the civil service.
"Perhaps more crucially, if Ambassadorial appointments are seen to be the gift of outgoing Prime Ministers, this undermines both this appointment and the professionalism of the entire service."
Notes for editors
- The FDA is the trade union for the UK's senior public servants and professionals at grade HEO and above. FDA membership includes more than 18,000 senior civil servants, diplomats, Government policy advisors, prosecutors, tax professionals, economists, solicitors and other professionals working across Government and the NHS.
- The FDA (formerly the First Division Association) should be referred to simply as "The FDA" and can be described as "the senior public servants' union".
- The FDA can be found on Twitter @FDA_union and at www.fda.org.uk.
- For further information contact:
- Dave Penman, General Secretary, tel: 020 7401 5555 or 07967 503827.
- Kay Hender, Communications Manager, tel: 020 7401 5555 or 07980 700747.
Latest News from
Invest in the civil service to deliver successful Brexit and domestic reform, says FDA18/01/2017 11:10:00
Invest in the civil service to deliver successful Brexit and domestic reform, says FDA.
Now is the time to change the Government’s approach to public sector pay, says FDA06/01/2017 10:15:00
Now is the time to change the Government's approach to public sector pay, says FDA.
Surrounding Ministers with yes men and women will not lead to the successful delivery of Brexit, says FDA05/01/2017 11:19:00
FDA General Secretary Dave Penman has commented on reactions across the media to the resignation of the UK's Ambassador to the EU Sir Ivan Rogers
Ministers should face same consequences as civil servants for leaking, says FDA06/12/2016 11:20:00
FDA General Secretary Dave Penman has commented on the memo sent to civil servants threatening dismissal for any 'leaks'.