Serious Fraud Office
Barclays PLC and Barclays Bank PLC
As Barclays have reported in their Regulatory News Service announcement, the High Court recently ruled against the SFO’s application, seeking to reinstate the charges previously dismissed in the Crown Court.
The SFO believes it was right to bring this to the High Court.
The trial of the individuals in this case will take place on 9 January 2019.
Reporting restrictions and the strict liability rule of the Contempt of Court Act apply to their cases. For that reason we cannot comment on the judge’s decisions.
Notes to editors:
- In August 2012 the SFO opened a criminal investigation into Barclays and its capital raising arrangements with Qatar Holding LLC and Challenger Universal Ltd in June and October 2008. The investigation also centred on a US$3 billion loan facility made available from Barclays to the State of Qatar acting through the Ministry of Economy and Finance in November 2008.
- Barclays PLC and four individuals were charged on 20 June 2017 with conspiracy to commit fraud and the provision of unlawful financial assistance contrary to the Companies Act 1985. On 12 February, Barclays Bank Plc was also charged with unlawful financial assistance contrary to s151(1) and (3) of the Companies Act 1985.
- On 21 May 2018 the charges against the corporates (Barclays Plc and Barclays Bank Plc) were dismissed by the Crown Court.
- On 23 July 2018 the SFO made an application to the High Court to re-instate the charges dismissed by the Crown Court.
- Lisa Osofsky recused herself from this case upon being appointed Director due to prior private sector work. To avoid any potential conflict she delegated supervision of the case to General Counsel Alun Milford.
- Reporting Restrictions are in place and the strict liability rule of the Contempt of Court Act applies.
Latest News from
Serious Fraud Office
SFO opens investigation into Greenergy and biodiesel trading17/05/2019 13:05:00
The SFO can confirm that it has opened a joint investigation with the Dutch authorities concerning certain aspects of biodiesel trading at Greenergy and various third parties.
Fighting fraud and corruption in a shrinking world04/04/2019 15:05:00
Lisa Osofsky, Director, yesterday (3 April 2019) speoke at the Royal United Services Institute in London.
Senior bankers sentenced to 9 years for rigging EURIBOR rate01/04/2019 16:25:00
Today Carlo Palombo and Colin Bermingham were sentenced to a total of 9 years imprisonment at Southwark Crown Court for manipulating the Euro Interbank Offered Rate (EURIBOR) at the height of the financial crisis.
Fourth senior banker convicted of fraud in SFO’s EURIBOR manipulation case29/03/2019 09:38:00
Former Managing Director at Barclays, Colin Bermingham, has been convicted of manipulating the Euro Interbank Offered Rate (EURIBOR) at the height of the financial crisis following an investigation and prosecution brought by the Serious Fraud Office.
Former banker convicted of fraud in SFO’s EURIBOR manipulation case27/03/2019 15:25:00
Former Barclays banker Carlo Palombo has been convicted of manipulating the Euro Interbank Offered Rate (EURIBOR) following an investigation and prosecution brought by the Serious Fraud Office.
SFO opens investigation into London Capital & Finance Plc19/03/2019 09:20:00
The Serious Fraud Office, working in conjunction with the Financial Conduct Authority, has opened an investigation into individuals associated with London Capital & Finance Plc.
SFO nets £1.52m from convicted Birmingham fraudster18/03/2019 17:06:00
The SFO has secured the forfeiture of over £1.5 million from convicted fraudster Nisar Afzal, 61, of Birmingham.
Sara Lawson QC appointed as new SFO General Counsel25/02/2019 15:05:00
Following a fair and open competition, the Serious Fraud Office is pleased to announce that Sara Lawson QC is to join the SFO as our new General Counsel in May.