Charity Commission opens inquiry into The Schwarzschild Foundation
The regulator has opened an inquiry into a charity which provides education and the relief of poverty for women and girls in the orthodox Jewish faith.
The Charity Commission has opened a statutory inquiry into The Schwarzschild Foundation to investigate potential misconduct or mismanagement in the administration of the charity. The main concerns relate to whether charitable funds and other assets of the charity have been used for the purposes intended.
The Schwarzschild Foundation was registered in 2014 and provides education and the relief of poverty for women and girls in the orthodox Jewish faith.
The Commission’s inquiry will examine the following regulatory issues:
- The trustees’ compliance with their legal duties in respect of their administration, governance and management of the charity. This includes compliance with the charity’s governing document, management of potential conflicts of interest and whether there has been any unauthorised trustee benefit.
- The financial controls and management of the charity including whether its funds have been properly expended solely for the exclusive charitable purposes and can be accounted for.
- Whether there has been misconduct and/ or mismanagement by those in control of the charity.
The inquiry opened on 23 June.
The regulator may extend the scope of this inquiry if additional regulatory issues emerge.
It is the Commission’s policy to publish a report upon concluding an inquiry to detail its findings, conclusions, and any regulatory action taken.
Notes for Editors
- The Charity Commission is the independent, non-ministerial government department that registers and regulates charities in England and Wales. Its purpose is to ensure charity can thrive and inspire trust so that people can improve lives and strengthen society.
- On 23 June 2023, the Charity Commission opened a statutory inquiry into The Schwarzschild Foundation under section 46 of the Charities Act 2011.
Latest News from
Regulator to investigate Al-Tawheed Charitable Trust over event held at its premises14/02/2024 09:15:00
The Charity Commission has opened an inquiry to investigate serious concerns over the misuse of charity premises.
Charity Commission announces next Chief Executive08/02/2024 09:10:00
David Holdsworth takes up role in July
Regulator investigates anti-poverty charity06/02/2024 12:20:00
The Charity Commission’s concerns include potential conflicts of interest and related party transactions at Big Help Project.
Regulator investigates spiritualist charity as disputing trustees and finances spark serious concerns01/02/2024 10:15:00
The Charity Commission has opened an inquiry into Trust Property Held In Connection With The London Spiritual Mission.
Regulator orders charity linked to fake Covid-19 ‘cure’ to shut26/01/2024 10:25:00
The Charity Commission concludes its inquiry into The Kingdom Church GB and bans preacher for 15 years.
Education charity receives Official Warning from regulator22/01/2024 14:20:00
The Charity Commission has issued an Official Warning to One Young World over breaches of trust.
Helen Stephenson's opening address at ICAEW Charity Conference19/01/2024 12:20:00
Helen Stephenson's yesterday reflected on the role of finance professionals and ‘finance trustees’ in the charity sector.
Regulator to investigate wild cat conservation charity over failure to file accounts12/01/2024 09:05:00
The Charity Commission has opened an inquiry into The Cat Survival Trust over trustees’ compliance with legal duties and fulfilment of its charitable objects.