McPartland Review - Driving Economic Growth through Cyber Security
McPartland review of cyber security and economic growth.
On 6 February 2024, the government appointed the Rt Hon Stephen McPartland MP to lead an independent review into cyber security’s role as an enabler of economic growth.
McPartland, previously served as Minister of State for Security under Johnson’s premiership, will collaborate with the National Cyber Advisory Board (NCAB) to understand the economic drivers that can reduce the cost of implementing cyber security across all sectors of the economy.
This review aligns with the government’s National Cyber Strategy, which advocates for a whole society approach to protect and promote the UK’s cyber interests. Its objectives include:
- Empowering businesses to accelerate digitisation while building secure environments. The review aims to compile evidence that supports investment in cyber security, highlighting instances where cyber security has driven market differentiation and innovation, and will explore avenues for further economic gains.
- Enhancing support for UK businesses in adopting robust cyber security practices. It will examine various challenges faced by businesses.
- Promoting greater awareness, accountability, and recognition of the benefits of cyber security through transparency measures. Special emphasis will be placed on leveraging generated information for pricing insurance risk to enable businesses to better direct cyber security investments.
- Minimising costs for businesses and consumers by demonstrating how security investments can stimulate growth.
- Facilitating market access for UK businesses through the mutual recognition of domestic standards on the global stage.
To gather evidence, McPartland will engage with stakeholders from across the public sector, industry and experts. The reports terms of reference can be found here.
A report with recommendations will be presented to the Deputy Prime Minister and the DSIT Secretary of State by the 1st of May 2024.
Latest News from
techUK is attending WTO’s 13th Ministerial Conference in Abu Dhabi23/02/2024 11:25:00
techUK is pleased to share that Sabina Ciofu, techUK’s Associate Director for International Policy and Trade, will be attending the World Trade Organization’s 13th Ministerial Conference (MC13) in Abu Dhabi from 26 to 29 February 2024.
G Cloud-14 Framework Publication23/02/2024 09:20:00
The Crown Commercial Service (CCS) have opened bidding on the G Cloud 14 framework.
Leadership Changes in the Cabinet Office22/02/2024 16:05:00
This week there have been a series of notable changes within the leadership of the Cabinet Office.
techUK launches new Innovation at the Edge series – call for contributions!22/02/2024 14:10:00
This year techUK is launching a new monthly insight series – Innovation at the Edge – highlighting exciting uses for edge computing in sectors as diverse as manufacturing, transport, energy and utilities, healthcare, agriculture, retail, and the public sector.
Project Gigabit update announces funding for Future Telecoms commercialisation22/02/2024 13:10:00
The government has today, 22 February, announced that more than one million homes, businesses, and public buildings can now access gigabit-capable broadband as the UK Government makes progress with its publicly-funded rollout. Further support has also been announced including £70m of funding for Future Telecoms and boosting satellite connectivity.
techUK responds to draft Rail Reform Bill21/02/2024 15:20:00
The Government has published draft legislation to reorganise the railways.
techUK and National Fire Chiefs Council (NFCC) Memorandum of Understanding | Digital Data and Technology Portfolio20/02/2024 16:25:00
techUK and the National Fire Chiefs Council (NFCC) have collectively and collaboratively been engaging and consulting with the technology sector at a local and national level with the view of improving the market’s understanding of the NFCC’s DDaT commitments, as well as enabling the formation and delivery of robust and informed strategic and procurement DDaT activities across the UK fire and rescue sector.
NPL launches Measurement for Business programme19/02/2024 09:25:00
The National Physical Laboratory (NPL) has launched Measurement for Business (M4B) to give industry access to specialist measurement science and engineering experts and facilities, at no charge, to help your business grow.