Serious Fraud Office
‘No case to answer’ ruling in case against former Tesco executives
His Honour Sir John Royce has ruled that Christopher Bush and John Scouler have no case to answer over alleged financial misreporting that saw Tesco overstate its profits by more than £250m in 2014.
The Court of Appeal on 5 December upheld the decision by the Judge that there was insufficient evidence for a jury to consider in respect of the individual defendants on trial and ordered an acquittal.
The judgment comes after Tesco Stores Limited accepted responsibility for false accounting practices through a Deferred Prosecution Agreement (DPA) in March last year, the details of which remain subject to reporting restrictions.
A third defendant, Carl Rogberg, was severed from this trial. The SFO is considering whether to pursue a retrial in light of the judgment.
Notes to Editors
- The SFO began investigating this case in October 2014. See press releases here.
- Carl Rogberg (19/01/1967), Christopher Bush (DOB 16/12/1965) and John Scouler (DOB 12/06/1968) were each charged with of one count of:
- Fraud by Abuse of Position, contrary to Section 1 and 4 of the Fraud Act 2006; and
- False Accounting contrary to Section 17 of the Theft Act 1968
- The three stood trial in September 2017 and the Crown’s case withstood half-time challenges entered in that trial. The jury was discharged on 6 February 2018. The retrial of two defendants began on 1 October 2018 before Sir John Royce.
- His Honour Sir John Royce handed down a no case to answer judgment on Monday 26 November in Southwark Crown Court. The SFO appealed the decision at a hearing before Lady Hallet in the Court of Appeal on Wednesday 5 December.
- The DPA between Tesco Stores Limited and the Serious Fraud Office will be published shortly subject to the removal of reporting restrictions or further Order by Sir Brian Leveson.
- Counsel for the Prosecution
- Sasha Wass QC
- Esther Schutzer-Weissman
- Counsel for the Defence
- Nicholas Purnell QC (Rogberg) –Norton Rose Fulbright
- Adrian Darbishire QC (Bush) – Hickman Rose
- Ian Winter QC (Scouler) – BCL Copeland
Latest News from
Serious Fraud Office
SFO opens investigation into Greenergy and biodiesel trading17/05/2019 13:05:00
The SFO can confirm that it has opened a joint investigation with the Dutch authorities concerning certain aspects of biodiesel trading at Greenergy and various third parties.
Fighting fraud and corruption in a shrinking world04/04/2019 15:05:00
Lisa Osofsky, Director, yesterday (3 April 2019) speoke at the Royal United Services Institute in London.
Senior bankers sentenced to 9 years for rigging EURIBOR rate01/04/2019 16:25:00
Today Carlo Palombo and Colin Bermingham were sentenced to a total of 9 years imprisonment at Southwark Crown Court for manipulating the Euro Interbank Offered Rate (EURIBOR) at the height of the financial crisis.
Fourth senior banker convicted of fraud in SFO’s EURIBOR manipulation case29/03/2019 09:38:00
Former Managing Director at Barclays, Colin Bermingham, has been convicted of manipulating the Euro Interbank Offered Rate (EURIBOR) at the height of the financial crisis following an investigation and prosecution brought by the Serious Fraud Office.
Former banker convicted of fraud in SFO’s EURIBOR manipulation case27/03/2019 15:25:00
Former Barclays banker Carlo Palombo has been convicted of manipulating the Euro Interbank Offered Rate (EURIBOR) following an investigation and prosecution brought by the Serious Fraud Office.
SFO opens investigation into London Capital & Finance Plc19/03/2019 09:20:00
The Serious Fraud Office, working in conjunction with the Financial Conduct Authority, has opened an investigation into individuals associated with London Capital & Finance Plc.
SFO nets £1.52m from convicted Birmingham fraudster18/03/2019 17:06:00
The SFO has secured the forfeiture of over £1.5 million from convicted fraudster Nisar Afzal, 61, of Birmingham.
Sara Lawson QC appointed as new SFO General Counsel25/02/2019 15:05:00
Following a fair and open competition, the Serious Fraud Office is pleased to announce that Sara Lawson QC is to join the SFO as our new General Counsel in May.