“No-one left behind” as Wales’ incredible vaccine programme moves forward
All over-18s will be offered a Covid vaccine by the start of next week, as First Minister Mark Drakeford praised the people behind Wales’ world-leading vaccination programme.
Wales expects to reach 75% take-up for first jabs across all priority groups and age groups a month ahead of target – the original milestone was the end of July – as the nation’s vaccination programme continues to go from strength to strength.
The focus will now move to maximising vaccine coverage for all by ensuring everyone is offered a second dose by the end of September and that no one is left behind.
First Minister Mark Drakeford said:
I am very proud to say that Wales has one of the best Covid vaccination programmes in the world.
We will make the offer of vaccination to all eligible adults six weeks ahead of schedule and we expect to reach 75% take-up across all priority groups and age groups a month ahead of target.
This is a remarkable achievement and a tribute to the hard work of all those involved in the programme – to all those doing the complex work of planning behind the scenes and to the thousands of people vaccinating and helping to run the clinics across the country.
You are doing a fantastic job. I am incredibly proud and thankful for everything you are doing to help protect Wales from this awful virus.
The very latest figures, published today, show 2.18m people, or 86% of the adult population, have had a first dose and almost 1.25m people have had a second dose.
Take-up is higher than 90% for first doses in all people over 60; in healthcare workers; care home residents and staff and all those who are extremely clinically vulnerable.
An updated Vaccine Strategy is being published today, which sets out the next steps for the vaccination programme, including minimising inequalities and ensuring no one is left behind.
It highlights the importance of second doses, especially as the new delta variant is spreading in parts of the UK.
It also sets out the steps Wales is taking to prepare for any decisions by the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) about booster jabs and vaccinating children – the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) last week approved a vaccine for use in children over 12.
Health Minister Eluned Morgan added:
The success of our programme in Wales lies in the supply arrangements we have developed; in our determination to use every drop of vaccine – not to waste any and to store the vaccine in people’s arms, rather than in fridges.
As we complete first doses, we will be re-doubling our efforts to make sure no one is left behind.
Subject to vaccine supply, we are confident the delivery of second doses will continue to be as fast and successful as first doses.
We expect all those who have come forward for their first dose to be offered a second dose by the end of September.
Latest News from
“Young Person’s Guarantee will help ensure there’s no lost generation in Wales”, Vaughan Gething22/06/2021 14:05:00
The Welsh Government's plan to provide everyone under 25 with the offer of work, education, training, or self-employment through its new Young Person’s Guarantee will help ensure there is no lost generation in Wales following the COVID-19 pandemic, Economy Minister, Vaughan Gething, said yesterday.
Updated guidance for hospital visiting in Wales22/06/2021 11:05:00
Updated guidance about hospital visiting has been published on Friday June 18 and will come into force on 5 July 2021.
New actions to ‘create space’ for schools announced22/06/2021 09:05:00
Jeremy Miles yesterday set out a series of measures we will take to create more capacity and ease potential pressures within the Welsh education system, providing further clarity on what the next year academic year will look like.
Keep Wales Safe this summer, urges Health Minister21/06/2021 16:05:00
Health Minister Eluned Morgan will remind everyone in Wales of their part to play in keeping Wales safe this summer during a press conference this afternoon.
“Welsh attractions are open and ready to welcome visitors” – Vaughan Gething21/06/2021 14:05:00
On a visit to Wales’ newest attraction, Zip World Tower, Economy Minister, Vaughan Gething said that Welsh attractions are open and ready to welcome visitors over the summer.
Summer of Fun to support children and young people recover from the pandemic21/06/2021 11:05:00
A ‘Summer of Fun’ to support children and young people take part in a range of sporting, cultural and play based activities has been announced by the Deputy Minister for Social Services, Julie Morgan.
More than 100 new jobs in Ebbw Vale thanks to £2.5 million Welsh Government support21/06/2021 09:05:00
Global battery manufacturer GS Yuasa is creating 105 new jobs and protecting a further 360 positions at its production plant in Ebbw Vale thanks to £2.5 million support from Welsh Government.
New ferret owners’ register to help prevent COVID-1918/06/2021 16:05:00
Owners of ferrets and Mustelinae in Wales are being encouraged to sign up to a new voluntary register to help contain any possible outbreak of the virus which causes COVID-19 and to provide advice to owners on how to keep themselves and their animals safe.
Health Minister urges people to get vaccinated as Delta variant cases rise18/06/2021 14:05:00
As Wales sees an increase in cases of the Delta variant, people are being urged to take up their offer of a vaccine.