Education and Skills Funding Agency
Regional winners from across the country are announced
Regional winners in the National Apprenticeship Awards 2018 are being announced at 9 regional ceremonies taking place over the next 3 weeks.
Mercedes Benz World in the South East yesterday (11 September), hosted the first event, with 18 winners and highly commended employers and apprentices representing industries including biopharmaceuticals, telecommunications, health and digital.
Apprentice category winners and highly commended:
- the British Army Award for Intermediate Apprentice of the Year was won by Natalie Annalls from Surrey Heath Borough Council; Rhys Hider from Summers Accident Repair Centre was highly commended
- the Rolls Royce Award for Advanced Apprentice of the Year was won by Muhammad Khan from BT; Tatiana Peters from MBDA was highly commended
- the Nuclear Decommissioning Site Licence Companies Award for Higher or Degree Apprentice of the Year was won by Alisha Fordham from Pfizer; Kirsten Berry from MBDA was highly commended
- the Royal Air Force Award for Apprenticeship Champion of the Year, was won by Darren Ellis from ENGIE; Scott Wildman from University of Kent was highly commended
- the Lloyds Banking Group Award for ‘Rising Star’ was won by Aimee Wilkinson from BAE Systems; whilst Dominic Cordara from Aon was highly commended
This award recognises apprentices who have made impressive progress in their career to date and who show the potential, through their apprenticeship, to make it to the very top of their chosen profession. The general public will be invited to vote on the overall winner for this category at national stages of the competition.
Employer category winners and highly commended:
- the BAE Systems Award for SME Employer of the Year was won by Invotra; Rose Builders were highly commended
- the Royal Navy Award for Large Employer of the Year was won by MBDA; John O’Conner (Grounds Maintenance) Ltd were highly commended
- the Centrica Macro Employer of the Year was won by: Caring Homes Group; Ford Motor Company were highly commended
- the PeoplePlus Award for Recruitment Excellence was also presented to Caring Homes Group; with Ford Motor Company also being highly commended in this category
Now in their 15th year, the National Apprenticeship Awards showcase the diverse and growing range of sectors engaged with apprenticeships, whilst celebrating outstanding apprentices, employers and individuals who go above and beyond to champion apprenticeships across England.
The awards were open to apprentices, individuals who promote apprenticeships and employers of all sizes from all sectors. The refreshed categories, including the Rising Star and Recruitment Excellence categories for 2018 gave additional opportunities for entrants to demonstrate the impact apprenticeships have made to individual’s lives and their workplaces.
Keith Smith, Director, Apprenticeships Group, ESFA said:
I am delighted to see so many regional winners being recognised and representing such a wide variety of sectors and industries.
We know apprenticeships enable businesses to grow their own talent, and also allow individuals make a start or progress their careers. The talent presented by winners and highly commended finalists really does showcase the impact of apprenticeships on individuals and employers alike.
There really were some outstanding applications and great apprenticeship stories, all highlighting the many benefits apprenticeships bring. I wish all winners the best of luck as we progress to the national stage of the competition and I want to personally thank everyone who took time to enter the awards this year.
You can find more information on the National Apprenticeship Awards 2018 on GOV.UK.
Hiring and training opportunities, pay and conditions, finding someone for your business, guidance and templates for employers.
Latest News from
Education and Skills Funding Agency
Apprenticeship non-levy from April 2019 to March 202030/01/2019 15:10:00
As per our announcement in November 2018, we are extending apprenticeship non-levy contracts to provide stability while decisions about the future of the non-levy system are made.
Director of Funding appointment and new single Funding Operations Centre of Excellence15/01/2019 10:25:00
Announcement of the Director of Funding for the Education and Skills Funding Agency (ESFA).
ESFA funded adult education budget 2019 to 2020 illustrative allocations issued17/12/2018 16:25:00
To aid with planning – illustrative adult education budget allocations issued for 2019 to 2020 years.
Blazing a Trail with National Apprenticeship Week 201914/12/2018 12:25:00
‘Blaze a Trail’ will be the theme for National Apprenticeship Week 2019 (NAW 2019), Apprenticeships and Skills minister Anne Milton announced yesterday (13 December).
Post 16 funding arrangements published for 2019 to 202013/12/2018 12:07:00
Post-16 funding letter for the 2019 to 2020 academic year published
ESFA extends Schools Resource Management Adviser pilot10/12/2018 09:25:00
ESFA is extending its School Resource Management Advisers pilot, which found £35 million of savings and revenue generation opportunities, to August 2020.
Apprenticeship stars take centre stage at National Apprenticeship Awards 2018 ceremony29/11/2018 14:47:00
The National Apprenticeship Awards 2018 included hundreds of apprentices, employers and individuals from across England.
'Opportunities Through Apprenticeships' project is launched21/11/2018 16:15:00
New scheme to boost access to apprenticeships in disadvantaged areas is launched