Regulator investigates anti-poverty charity
The Charity Commission’s concerns include potential conflicts of interest and related party transactions at Big Help Project.
The Charity Commission has launched an inquiry into Big Help Project, a Liverpool-based charity whose activities include providing accommodation to vulnerable adults.
The regulator first engaged with the charity proactively after identifying a significant increase in its reported income. It then identified concerns around trustee decision making, potential unauthorised trustee benefit and unmanaged conflicts of interest.
In order to investigate further, the Commission opened a statutory inquiry into the charity on 7 December 2023. It will examine the administration, governance and management of the charity, including if:
- conflicts of interests and transactions with connected parties have been adequately identified and managed.
- there has been any unauthorised trustee benefit.
- any misconduct and or mismanagement led to financial losses for the charity.
- the charity has accurately accounted for its funds and assets in line with legal requirements.
The Commission may extend or amend the scope of the inquiry if additional regulatory issues emerge.
It is the Commission’s usual policy, after it has concluded an inquiry, to publish a report detailing the issues examined, any action taken, and the outcomes.
Notes to Editors
- The Charity Commission is the independent, non-ministerial government department that registers and regulates charities in England and Wales. Its purpose is to ensure charity can thrive and inspire trust so that people can improve lives and strengthen society.
- The Charity Commission opened the statutory inquiry into Big Help Project under section 46 of the Charities Act 2011 on 7 December 2023.
- Guidance on the Charity Commission’s inquiries can be found here.
Out of hours press office contact number: 07785 748787
Latest News from
Regulator to investigate Al-Tawheed Charitable Trust over event held at its premises14/02/2024 09:15:00
The Charity Commission has opened an inquiry to investigate serious concerns over the misuse of charity premises.
Charity Commission announces next Chief Executive08/02/2024 09:10:00
David Holdsworth takes up role in July
Regulator investigates spiritualist charity as disputing trustees and finances spark serious concerns01/02/2024 10:15:00
The Charity Commission has opened an inquiry into Trust Property Held In Connection With The London Spiritual Mission.
Regulator orders charity linked to fake Covid-19 ‘cure’ to shut26/01/2024 10:25:00
The Charity Commission concludes its inquiry into The Kingdom Church GB and bans preacher for 15 years.
Education charity receives Official Warning from regulator22/01/2024 14:20:00
The Charity Commission has issued an Official Warning to One Young World over breaches of trust.
Helen Stephenson's opening address at ICAEW Charity Conference19/01/2024 12:20:00
Helen Stephenson's yesterday reflected on the role of finance professionals and ‘finance trustees’ in the charity sector.
Regulator to investigate wild cat conservation charity over failure to file accounts12/01/2024 09:05:00
The Charity Commission has opened an inquiry into The Cat Survival Trust over trustees’ compliance with legal duties and fulfilment of its charitable objects.
Almost £1.5m distributed for charitable purposes following Charity Commission investigation15/12/2023 15:15:00
Genesis Philanthropy Group is to be wound up, with its remaining funds transferred to other charities.