Health and Safety Executive
Printable version E-mail this to a friend

Changes to HSE incident reporting and information services come into effect

Businesses are being reminded about new incident reporting arrangements which were introduced yesterday (Monday 12 September).

Only fatal and major injuries and incidents will be able to be reported by phone to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), with all other work-related injuries and incidents reportable under RIDDOR (see notes to editors) to be reported via one of a suite of seven online forms available on HSE's website.

Said Trevor Carlile, HSE's Director of Strategy:

"This should not be a significant change for many, as more than half of reportable injuries are already notified to HSE through the website. The new forms are intuitive and quick and easy to complete. The most important thing is that there will still be somebody at the end of the phone to assist those who are reporting a traumatic event that has resulted in a death or major injury.

Later this month, HSE's Infoline telephone service which currently provides a basic information service to callers will end. Instead, from 30 September, those seeking information and official guidance will be directed to HSE's website - a huge knowledge bank where they can access and download resources and use interactive web tools free of charge.

Various improvements have been made to HSE's website to coincide with the closure of Infoline. There is clearer information on what HSE does and doesn't do, so people can check that HSE is the right organisation to assist them, and expanded 'question & answer' sections for the most frequent health and safety enquiries such as those on RIDDOR reporting and First Aid.

Added Trevor Carlile:

"HSE's website is already overwhelmingly the most popular option for accessing health and safety information. We're confident that our web services can be efficient and effective at a fraction of the cost per contact compared with telephone services. We'll continue to make improvements to make the website as intuitive and easy-to-use as possible."

HSE continues to provide information and guidance to employers and workers in a range of other ways: through direct work with organisations and trade associations, face-to-face at workshops and safety training days and via books and eBulletins. A comprehensive suite of health and safety advice is also available via the Government's website for businesses "", and DirectGov.

People will still be able to make complaints about health and safety in the workplace. For more information on how to do this visit (to be updated from 30 September)

Notes to editors:

  1. A Q&A on the changes is available at
  2. The seven online RIDDOR reporting forms will be:
    • F2508 Report of an injury
    • F2508 Report of a Dangerous Occurrence
    • F2508A Report of a Case of Disease
    • OIR9B Report of an Injury Offshore
    • OIR9B Report of a Dangerous Occurrence Offshore
    • F2508G1 Report of a Flammable Gas Incident
    • F2508G2 Report of a Dangerous Gas Fitting

Press enquiries

All enquiries from journalists should be directed to the HSE Press Office

Get more out of life! Join CSSC for only £4.95pm!