Driver & Vehicle Standards Agency
|Printable version||E-mail this to a friend|
Online directory of driving instructors launched
* Only official
online directory of qualified, approved driving instructors
* Over 30,000 qualified instructors signed up to the service
* Search for qualified, approved instructors in your area
A free online service making it easy for learner drivers to find
qualified instructors in their area has been launched today by the
Driving Standards Agency (DSA).
'Find your nearest driving instructors' is available on Directgov. It lists fully qualified driving instructors who have signed up to be listed, and allows users to search for instructors closest to them by typing in their postcode.
Learners will also be able to see if an instructor has signed up to the voluntary code of practice and if they are committed to continuing their professional development. The voluntary code of practice sets out the professional standards and business ethics expected of those working in the industry.
Road Safety Minister Mike Penning said:
"This new service will make life easier for learner drivers and parents looking for qualified instructors in their area. I hope that this will allow people to make more informed choices about who they want to teach them to drive."
Once qualified, approved instructors are tested regularly by DSA to ensure they are delivering the required standard of instruction, and are subject to ongoing enhanced criminal record checks. They display a green badge in their windscreen during lessons.
Trainee driving instructors will not be listed in the directory. However, trainee driving instructors can do a limited amount of teaching to gain experience and must display a pink badge in their windscreen to indicate that they are not yet fully qualified.
Find your nearest driving instructors is at direct.gov.uk/finddrivinginstructor
* For further information please contact DSA Press Office on 0115 936 6135 or email email@example.com
Notes to editors
1. DSA promotes road safety through setting standards for drivers, riders and trainers, testing drivers and riders fairly and efficiently, maintaining the registers of Approved Driving Instructors; Large Goods Vehicle Instructors; Fleet Trainers; Driving Instructor Trainers and Post Test Motorcycle Trainers; supervising Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) for learner motorcyclists; and driver education and the provision of learning resources.
2. DSA is a trading fund with planned income of £195 million in 2011/12, largely funded through fees and revenue from other road safety initiatives. It delivers tests from over 400 practical driving test centres and 158 theory test locations.
3. DSA employs around 2,600 staff, of which just over 1,800 are driving examiners. In 2010/11 DSA conducted over 1.8 million practical tests (of which 1.6 million were car tests) and around 1.6 million theory tests. At the end of 2010/2011 there were around 47,000 people on the Register of Approved Driving Instructors.
4. 'Find your nearest driving instructor' is part of a suite of 'find your nearest' search facilities on Directgov. This suite includes 'find your nearest approved training body' for learner riders.
5. DSA has an image library at flickr.com/photos/dsagovuk which is free for use by press and news media. However, you must acknowledge DSA Crown copyright.
DSA Press office
Phone: 0115 936 6135