back to listings SME Profile: Craft of Communication
Craft of Communication
Welcome to Craft of Communication
Craft of Communication was created in 2002 in response to requests from the business sector for an evidence-based, practical solution to the entire range of communication needs for managers and leaders at all levels. We now deliver our global training programmes to DEFRA, Environment Agency, Ministry of Defence, Natural England, South Bank Centre and several NHS Trusts. Our clients in the Corporate Sector include Barclays, Boots, British Gas, Centrica, Coutts, Crossrail, eBay, Grant Thornton, IG Group, JP Morgan, L’Oreal, Old Mutual, 02, Microsoft, Serco, Shell, Total, Unilever, Westpac Bank and Yahoo. Our Charitable Sector clients include Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and British Heart Foundation.
As experts at the forefront of their respective fields, our Founding Directors, Tara Shaw and John Abulafia, understand that developing communication skills is about changing behaviour. Tara is a voice specialist and Senior Lecturer in performance at renowned UK Conservatoires and Universities. John is an International Theatre Director, Opera Producer, Performance Coach and Company Director.
With over 20 years of experience, research and practice in the Science of Human Communication and the Craft of Performance they have combined these two approaches to create the protocols, which are the globally recognised Craft of Communication.
Combining the Why of Science with the How of Performance provides Managers and Leaders with a complete, rounded training to alter behaviours and enhance their business effectiveness through improved communication, presentation, negotiation, influencing and speaking skills.
The Science of Communication:
- Learning about the physics, psychology and physiology of human interaction is the first step in understanding human behaviour; the dynamic of the Audience-Speaker relationship. This is present in all human communication from large groups discussions, team meetings, or one-to-one conversations.
The Craft of Performance:
- Performers understand human behaviour and interactions, and use this knowledge to manage the Audience-Speaker relationship. The techniques they learn are transferable to anyone who has to manage any audience, create impact, build rapport and influence others.
The Craft of Communication approach is always practical. Managers and Leaders will be introduced to the Status Toolkit™ created by our Founding Directors. Unique to Craft of Communication, the Status Toolkit™ provides Managers and Leaders with instantly usable techniques to help them communicate with impact, clarity and gravitas. The techniques can be applied to all areas of business communication, including Presentations, Meeting Management, Pitching, Virtual Communication and Media Interviews.
Our Training and Coaching is never about handy hints, tricks or tips; it is based on sound methodology, rigorous research and our direct experience of what it means to be a Manager or Leader at any level.
There are no lectures: our clients Learn by Doing. This interactive training develops enhanced self-awareness, positive behavioural change for individuals and teams, and promotes autonomy by helping Managers and Leaders to use Craft of Communication programmes to manage their own personal and professional development.
Full list of our Public Sector clients.
- Central Government: Central Office of Information, Department for Transport, Ministry of Defence, Office of Rail Regulation
- Environment: Environment Agency, Natural England
- Local Authority: Islington Council, North Yorkshire County Council, Portsmouth City Council, Stevenage Council
- NHS: Isle of Wight NHS Trust, Winchester NHS Trust
- Police: Lothian & Borders, Norfolk
- Cultural: Arts Council, Hayward Gallery, South Bank Centre.
Click on the links below to find out more information about our services: