HM Land Registry
December 2017 Transaction Data
This data provides information about the number and types of applications that HM Land Registry completed in December 2017.
- HM Land Registry completed more than 1,266,640 applications to change or query the Land Register
- the South East topped the table of regional applications with 287,649
The transaction data shows HM Land Registry completed 1,266,641 applications in December compared with 1,774,223 in November and 1,271,984 last December, of which:
- 319,721 were applications to update existing titles compared with 411,092 in November
- 551,427 were applications to obtain an official copy of a register compared with 834,546 in November
- 197,327 were official searches compared with 238,129 in November
- 26,377 were postal applications from non-account holders, compared with 30,948 in November
Applications by region and country
|Region and country||October applications||November applications||December applications|
|Yorkshire and the Humber||135,347||135,373||98,017|
|Isles of Scilly||106||92||79|
|England and Wales (not assigned)||95||86||42|
Top 5 local authority areas
|Top 5 local authority areas||October applications||Top 5 local authority areas||November applications||Top 5 local authority areas||December applications|
|City of Westminster||24,087||City of Westminster||23,565||City of Westminster||17,977|
Top 5 customers
|Top 5 customers||October applications||Top 5 customers||November applications||Top 5 customers||December applications|
|O’Neill Patient||24,610||Optima Legal Services||25,532||Optima Legal Services||19,826|
|Optima Legal Services||23,721||O’Neill Patient||24,260||O’Neill Patient||19,764|
|Eversheds LLP||20,980||TM Group (UK) Ltd||19,701||HBOS PLC||16,649|
|Barclays Bank PLC||19,123||HBOS PLC||19,315||TM Group (UK) Ltd||16,444|
Notes to editors
- Transaction Data is published on the 15th working day of each month. The January Transaction Data will be published at 11am on Wednesday 21 February 2018 at HM Land Registry Monthly Property Transaction Data.
- The monthly Transaction Data showing how many applications for new titles, leases, splitting titles, updating existing titles, official copies of the register and searches were completed, reflects the volume of applications lodged by customers using an HM Land Registry account number on their application form.
- Completed applications in England and Wales shown by region and by local authority include postal applications as well as those sent electronically.
- Transaction Data excludes: pending applications, bankruptcy applications, bulk applications and discharge applications (to remove a charge, for example, a mortgage, from the register).
- Transactions for value are applications lodged involving a transfer of ownership for value. For an explanation of other terms used, see abbreviations used in the Transaction Data.
- Most searches carried out by a solicitor or conveyancer are to protect the purchase and/or mortgage. For example, a search will give the buyer priority for an application to HM Land Registry to register the purchase of the property. This can give an indication of market activity.
- Reasonable skill and care is used in the provision of the data. We strive to ensure that the data is as accurate as possible but cannot guarantee that it is free from error. We cannot guarantee our data is fit for your intended purpose or use.
- Transaction Data is available free of charge for use and re-use under the Open Government Licence (OGL). The licence allows public bodies to make their data available for re-use.
- If you use or publish the Transaction Data, you must add the following attribution statement: Contains HM Land Registry data © Crown copyright and database right 2018. This data is licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.
- HM Land Registry’s mission is to guarantee and protect property rights in England and Wales.
- HM Land Registry is a government department created in 1862. It operates as an executive agency and a trading fund and its running costs are covered by the fees paid by the users of its services. Its ambition is to become the world’s leading land registry for speed, simplicity and an open approach to data.
- HM Land Registry safeguards land and property ownership worth in excess of £4 trillion, including around £1 trillion of mortgages. The Land Register contains more than 25 million titles showing evidence of ownership for some 85% of the land mass of England and Wales.
- For further information about HM Land Registry visit gov.uk/land-registry
- Follow us on:
Senior Press Officer
1 Bedford Park
Telephone 0300 0067543
Mobile 07790 690297
1 Bedford Park
Telephone 0300 0063349
Latest News from
HM Land Registry
UK House Price Index (UK HPI) annual review 201714/02/2018 11:20:38
A review of the UK House Price Index statistics for 2017 for England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
UK House Price Index for December 201714/02/2018 09:10:37
The UK House Price Index (UK HPI) shows house price changes for England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
Award-winning Geovation Programme seeks new GeoTech and PropTech disruptors30/01/2018 11:20:08
Geovation invites PropTech startup companies to bid for funding.
December 2017 Price Paid Data29/01/2018 16:25:09
HM Land Registry Price Paid Data tracks land and property sales in England and Wales submitted to us for registration.