HM Land Registry
December 2019 Price Paid Data
HM Land Registry Price Paid Data tracks land and property sales in England and Wales submitted to us for registration.
This month’s Price Paid Data includes details of more than 83,500 sales of land and property in England and Wales that HM Land Registry received for registration in December 2019.
In December 2019:
- the most expensive residential property sold was in City of Westminster for £39,500,000
- the cheapest residential property sold was in Seaham, County Durham, for £20,000
- the most expensive commercial sale was in City of Westminster for £125,735,586
- the cheapest commercial sale was in Lytham St Annes, Lancashire, for £350
- there was a 9.1% fall in newbuilds compared with December 2018
Of the 83,715 sales received for registration 20,296 took place in December 2019 of which:
- 453 were of residential properties in England and Wales for £1 million and over
- 275 were of residential properties in Greater London for £1 million and over
- 2 were of residential properties in West Midlands for more than £1 million
- 2 were of residential properties in Greater Manchester for more than £1 million
- 1 was of a residential property in Wales for more than £1 million
The number of sales received for registration by property type and month
Of the 83,715 sales received for registration in December 2019:
- 64,012 were freehold, a 5.5% decrease on December 2018
- 9,699 were newly built, a 9.1% decrease on December 2018
|Property type||December 2019||November 2019||October 2019|
There is a time difference between the sale of a property and its registration at HM Land Registry.
In the dataset you can find the date of sale for each property, its full address and sale price, its category (residential or commercial) and type (detached, semi-detached, terraced, flat or maisonette and other), whether or not it is new build and whether it is freehold or leasehold.
- Price Paid Data is published at 11am on the 20th working day of each month. The next dataset will be published on 28 February 2020.
- Price Paid Data is property price data for all residential and commercial property sales in England and Wales that are lodged with HM Land Registry for registration in that month, subject to exclusions.
- The amount of time between the sale of a property and the registration of this information with HM Land Registry varies. It typically ranges between 2 weeks and 2 months. Data for the 2 most recent months is therefore incomplete and does not give an indication of final monthly volumes. Occasionally the interval between sale and registration is longer than 2 months. The small number of sales affected cannot be updated for publication until the sales are lodged for registration.
- Price Paid Data categories are either Category A (Standard entries), which includes single residential properties sold for full market value, or Category B (Additional entries), such as sales to a company, buy-to-lets where they can be identified by a mortgage and repossessions.
- HM Land Registry has been collecting information on Category A sales from January 1995 and on Category B sales from October 2013.
- Price Paid Data can be downloaded in text, CSV format and in a machine readable format as linked data and is released under Open Government Licence (OGL). Under the OGL, HM Land Registry permits the use of Price Paid Data for commercial or non-commercial purposes. However, the OGL does not cover the use of third party rights, which HM Land Registry is not authorised to license.
- The Price Paid Data report builder allows users to build bespoke reports using the data. Reports can be based on location, estate type, price paid or property type over a defined period of time.
- HM Land Registry’s mission is to guarantee and protect property rights in England and Wales.
- HM Land Registry is a government department created in 1862. It operates as an executive agency and a trading fund and its running costs are covered by the fees paid by the users of its services. Its ambition is to become the world’s leading land registry for speed, simplicity and an open approach to data.
- HM Land Registry safeguards land and property ownership valued at £7 trillion, enabling more than £1 trillion worth of personal and commercial lending to be secured against property across England and Wales.
- For further information about HM Land Registry visit www.gov.uk/land-registry.
- Follow us on Twitter, our blog, LinkedIn and Facebook.
1 Bedford Park
Phone (Monday to Friday 8:30am to 5:30pm) 0300 006 3365
Mobile (5:30pm to 8:30am weekdays, all weekend and public holidays) 07864 689 344
Latest News from
HM Land Registry
Digital mortgage service registers 7,000th deed27/02/2020 10:10:00
HM Land Registry’s digital service 'Sign your mortgage deed' has started 2020 with a bang with the 7,000th digital mortgage deed being registered in February.
UK House Price Index annual review 201925/02/2020 12:38:00
A review of the UK House Price Index (UK HPI) statistics for 2019 for England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
January 2020 Transaction Data24/02/2020 11:10:00
This data provides information about the number and types of applications that HM Land Registry completed in January 2020.
UK House Price Index for December 201920/02/2020 09:15:00
The UK HPI shows house price changes for England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
Watford Borough Council becomes latest local authority to join Local Land Charges Register07/02/2020 11:10:00
Property buyers in Watford now have instant access to the local land charges information they need, speeding up the conveyancing process.
Record breaking 10.4 million customers filed online04/02/2020 11:10:00
The total number of customers who submitted their Self Assessment tax return by the 31 January deadline – 11.1 million - was also a record.
Peterborough City Council joins HM Land Registry’s Local Land Charges Register03/02/2020 11:15:00
HM Land Registry’s digital Local Land Charges Register continues to grow, enabling the digital transformation of homebuying.
December 2019 Transaction Data23/01/2020 11:10:00
This data provides information about the number and types of applications that HM Land Registry completed in December 2019.