Department for Transport
|Printable version||E-mail this to a friend|
Encouraging cycling and walking: apply for business funding
- Also published by:
- Innovate UK
Organisations can apply for a share of up to £470,000 for innovative proposals to encourage people to make more journeys by bike or on foot.
Up to £470,000 is available for organisations with innovative projects that lead to people walking and cycling more. Innovations may include technology, infrastructure, manufacturing or behavioural change.
This is a Small Business Research Initiative (SBRI) competition. It has 2 phases. Up to £170,000 is available for phase 1, and up to £300,000 for phase 2.
Natural choice for shorter journeys
The government’s vision is for cycling and walking to become the natural choice for shorter journeys. The Department for Transport (DfT) is funding this competition and is inviting proposals which:
- remove current barriers to walking and cycling
- encourage people to make more journey stages to by bicycle or on foot
Removing the barriers
To meet these aims, DfT intends to focus on:
better safety - safety and safety perceptions are among the biggest barriers for people wanting to take up cycling and walking
better mobility - to make cycling and walking normal, easy and enjoyable, we need better links and networks to key destinations
better streets - well-designed and accessible streets can encourage people to walk or cycle more as part of their daily routine
- this competition opens on Wednesday 19 April 2017, and the deadline for registration is midday on 7 June 2017
- this competition is open to individuals, groups and organisations, but is particularly suitable for early-stage, small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs)
- industry partners such as local government, independent and third sectors can carry out the project on their own or with others
- total project costs can vary between £25,000 and £100,000 and up to 15 weeks to up to 9 months, depending on the phase
- there will be a briefing event for potential applicants on Tuesday 25 April 2017
Latest News from
Department for Transport
New air quality plan published for consultation05/05/2017 15:12:00
Options open for consultation to reduce nitrogen dioxide in our towns and cities.
South Eastern franchise public consultation events cancelled25/04/2017 15:05:16
Events planned as part of the public consultation for the South Eastern franchise have been cancelled.
Government confirms £173.5 million funding to improve transport in Leeds21/04/2017 15:43:59
Leeds to get high frequency ‘busways’, improved park and ride facilities and better stops and signs through funding.
Government publishes £1.2 billion plan to increase cycling and walking21/04/2017 14:10:42
'Cycling and walking investment strategy’ released.