CAN Awards 2022: Recognising cyber security excellence
The awards will shine a light on the innovation and digital expertise that help protect patient care and data across the NHS.
NHS Digital is delighted to announce the shortlist for the first Cyber Associates Network (CAN) Awards to celebrate those working in cyber security.
The virtual awards ceremony is taking place on Monday 28 March at 4pm and will also shine a light on the innovation and digital expertise that help protect patient care and data across the NHS.
Here are the nominees:
Innovation in Cyber
- Barry Richardson, NHS Blood and Transplant
- Adam Boon, NHS Digital
- NHS Informatics Merseyside
Cyber Newcomer of the Year
- Tamara Birchall, NHS Arden and GEM Commissioning Support Unit
- Ben Warwick, Birmingham Community Healthcare
- Huw Jones, Royal Cornwall Hospital
Cyber Leader of the Year
- Dan Jeffery, NHS Blood and Transplant
- Paul Charnley, Cheshire and Mersey Health and Care Partnership
- Martyn Perry, Midlands Partnership
CAN Contributor of the Year
- Martin Price, Royal Cornwall Hospital
- Patricia Powell, NHS Digital
Cyber Team of the Year
- IS Specialists, Northumbria Healthcare
- IT Security team, NHS Informatics Merseyside
- Technical Services team, Royal Cornwall Hospital
- TI team, NHS Digital
- Virtual Cyber team, Princess Alexandra Hospital
- Cyber security team, NHS Arden and GEM Commissioning Support Unit
- IT Audit and Assurance, West Midlands Ambulance Service
- Digital Security and Compliance team, United Lincolnshire
- Cyber team, Bradford District Care
- Cyber security team, NHS Blood and Transplant
Individual of the Year
- Barry Richardson, NHS Blood and Transplant
- Bradley Hampson, Provide CIC
- James Jassie, United Lincolnshire Hospitals
- Audrey Hanley, Kings College Hospital
- Tej Gudka, NHS Arden and GEM Commissioning Support Unit
- Mark Williams, Informatics Merseyside
- Iqbal Mahal, Birmingham Community Healthcare
As well as the categories listed above, we will also recognise the very best in cyber security with The Pete Rose Outstanding Achievement Award. This is an accolade dedicated to the memory of our Deputy CEO, Pete Rose, who sadly passed away in August 2021. The winner of the honour will be selected from the overall CAN Award shortlist.
Mark Logsdon, Chief Information Security Officer, yesterday said:
“I want to say a massive congratulations to the Cyber Associates Network Awards shortlist, and to all our nominees. We received more than 40 nominations recognising some great work in settings across the sector. I highly value the CAN community, which has grown significantly since it was established in 2019. It continues to be a place for members to share their expertise and collaborate – its work is absolutely vital.”
Phil Huggins, National Chief Information Security Officer for Health and Social Care, yesterday said:
“We introduced the CAN Awards to showcase the incredible work being done by individuals, teams and organisations to manage and improve cyber security in health and care.
“It's been a challenging couple of years, due to the pandemic, but cyber security colleagues across the system have really impressed me through their dedication and hard work while playing their part in the response. The CAN Awards recognises their passion, commitment and innovation.
“Well done to everyone who made our shortlist. I'm keen that we grow the awareness of these awards amongst non-cyber colleagues so we can celebrate shortlisted cyber security colleagues across the system.”
Latest News from
New analysis of health behaviours by ethnicity published by NHS Digital01/07/2022 10:20:00
New analysis of health behaviours and conditions across ethnic groups in England has been published by NHS Digital
Decrease in adult carers feeling satisfied with support services23/06/2022 13:25:00
36.3% of carers reported feeling very or extremely satisfied with support and services in 2021-22 (down from 38.6% in 2018-19), according to a survey1 of 43,525 adult carers in England, published today by NHS Digital.
Suppliers invited to tender to join Tech Innovation Framework13/06/2022 14:15:00
A new framework designed to increase innovation and choice in the primary care IT market has been launched by NHS Digital.
NHS Digital launches new social care cyber security resources07/06/2022 09:15:00
NHS Digital’s flagship security awareness toolkit, Keep I.T. Confidential, has been updated to help support social care organisations to improve security culture within their care settings.
NHS DigiTrials team take over Twitter for Clinical Trials Day24/05/2022 12:15:00
In celebration of Clinical Trials Day, some of the NHS DigiTrials team took over NHS Digital’s Twitter page to answer your questions.
DigiTrials team take over Twitter for Clinical Trials Day24/05/2022 09:15:00
In celebration of Clinical Trials Day, some of the DigiTrials team took over NHS Digital’s Twitter page to answer your questions.
Additional information on GP appointments added to monthly statistics publications28/04/2022 14:15:00
Information on the length and context of GP appointments is being included in NHS Digital’s statistics on consultations in general practice from today.
Find your NHS Number service used by millions in first year of operation21/04/2022 11:15:00
An online service enabling people to look up their NHS number quickly and easily was used 4.6 million times in its first year.