GP appointments data published
NHS Digital has published data to inform users about GP appointments and help show how primary care is affected by seasonal variation.
Appointments in General Practice, October 2018 provides information on subjects such as:
- the number of surgery appointments, home visits, telephone and online consultations
- type of healthcare professional leading the appointment
- the number of appointments where a patient did not attend
- the time between an appointment being booked and taking place.
Data will be available monthly at Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) level, for GP practices using the TPP and EMIS systems1.
While this data will develop into a necessary resource to measure seasonal impact, this first publication consists of experimental statistics to reflect the variation in data quality between CCG’s as well as the ongoing development that will take place to the series, in consultation with users.
There are various measures that cannot be extrapolated from the report:
- as it shows information captured from GP systems, it cannot be used as an estimate of workload as these systems do not capture every activity that GPs carry out2
- there are also no measures of patient demand or the capacity within GP surgeries to meet that demand in this report
- the report is unable to capture factors relating to the demographics of an area, which can impact on the number of appointments required and therefore there is no way to infer if the level of appointments is appropriate
- appointments which occur outside the core opening hours of a practice are often not recorded on the GP system, and therefore the number of these appointments may appear to be lower in the report.
Read the full report
Notes to editors
- These systems account for approximately 95% of the systems in use in England. Therefore, where national figures are cited, these have been estimated to 100% using patient list numbers.
- Examples of non-captured activity include reviewing and actioning prescriptions, training, meetings, work to ensure statutory obligations are met, processing laboratory tests, and administration tasks. Many practices create blocks of appointments outside core surgery hours for telephone triage or home visits as a list for clinicians to work through during the day. As these appointments cannot be verified, they have not been counted as part of the dataset. Any appointment marked as available in a system, such as breaks, unused patient facing appointments, untimed appointments or those cancelled at late notice and not rebooked were also not counted as part of the data due to data quality issues.
- For more information on the limitations on this data, please read the accompanying supporting information document.
NHS Digital is the national information and technology partner of the health and care system. Our team of information analysis, technology and project management experts create, deliver and manage the crucial digital systems, services, products and standards upon which health and care professionals depend. During the 2017/18 financial year, NHS Digital published 275 statistical reports. Our vision is to harness the power of information and technology to make health and care better.
For media enquiries please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 0300 30 33 888. Follow us on Twitter: @NHSDigital
Latest News from
Ambulance clinicians to access patient information on the move, without a Smartcard18/04/2019 14:15:00
Yesterday the London Ambulance Service began a pilot to enable its clinicians to securely access Summary Care Record data on an iPad, without the need for a smartcard or N3, by using the new NHS Identity Service to authenticate to the system.
NHS Digital deal offers NHS organisations better insight into system data18/04/2019 09:15:00
NHS Digital has agreed a deal that will allow NHS organisations to make better use of their machine generated information through a market-leading data monitoring and analytics platform.
NHS staff and parents to gain access to crucial child health information16/04/2019 14:15:00
NHS Digital and NHS England collaborate with IT suppliers to launch groundbreaking new service.
NHS Digital programmes nominated for digital award15/04/2019 09:15:00
NHS Digital’s Digital Delivery Centre has been nominated for a DigiLeaders 100 award for its work on the National Record Locator and NHS 111 online.
£4.8m available to scale up local digital adult social care projects02/04/2019 14:15:00
Organisations that provide and commission adult social care services are invited to bid for a share of £4.8m to enable them to roll out their local digital projects on a wider scale.
Prescription Cost Analysis report published28/03/2019 15:15:15
The cost of prescriptions dispensed in the community and the number of items dispensed during the 2018 calendar year has been published today by NHS Digital.
Emergency readmissions published for first time in five years21/03/2019 16:10:00
New experimental statistics  have been released by NHS Digital, showing emergency readmissions for hospitals in England between 2013/14 and 2017/18.
Daniel Ray is named second in data 100 power list08/03/2019 15:33:00
NHS Digital’s Daniel Ray has been named the second most influential data and analytics practitioner in the UK by dataIQ’s top 100 list.