New investment to support early-stage immersive businesses
Innovate UK has partnered with 11 private investment firms to offer £2 million grant funding alongside equity investment for immersive R&D projects.
It’s estimated that the UK’s immersive industry generates £660 million in sales every year, and that as many as half a million people are employed by companies participating in the immersive economy. Despite this, there is currently a gap in angel and early-seed investment into immersive businesses – a critical point of a new business’s growth.
To help businesses overcome this barrier and boost the UK economy, Innovate UK is working with 11 investor partners to offer simultaneous grant funding and venture capital investment in early-stage projects led by UK companies.
Up to £2 million is available in grant funding, alongside equity investment from the following investor partners:
- Creative England
- GC Angels (GC Business Finance)
- HTC Europe (Vive X)
- London Venture Partners LLP
- Mercia Technologies PLC
- Northstar Ventures Ltd
- Oxford Sciences Innovation PLC
- Station 12
- Techstart Ventures LLP
- Warner Music UK
Helping innovative businesses succeed
This competition aims to support early stage immersive companies by:
- encouraging early-stage private investment in small and medium sized immersive businesses
- removing the need to find match funding
- giving companies direct access to investment partners’ commercial skills, knowledge and market opportunities
Grant funding is provided through the Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund’s audience of the future programme, delivered by UK Research and Innovation. By bringing together creative businesses, researchers and technology experts to adopt, exploit and develop immersive technologies, the challenge is growing the UK’s leading market position in creative content.
Transforming audience experiences
This competition is open to companies engaged in producing immersive content, delivering new immersive products, services or platforms, or developing novel immersive software, hardware or devices.
Projects can focus on one or more of the following:
- enhancing, extending or transforming the immersive audience experience
- new immersive content production tools, software and systems
- VR, AR and other digital technologies to deepen and enrich the immersive experience
Innovate UK will fund up to 70% of projects for micro or small businesses, and up to 60% for medium-sized businesses. The remaining project costs need to come from one of this competition’s investor partners.
- the competition will open on 20 May 2019
- the competition will close on 3 July 2019
- up to £2 million including VAT in grant funding is available
- your project’s total eligible costs must be between £150,000 and £300,000
- you must be a UK-based micro, small or medium-sized enterprise working in immersive technology, and carry out your project in the UK
- applicants must commit to co-investment from one of the investor partners
Latest News from
ENGIE partners with Innovate UK to fund pioneering energy projects20/06/2019 09:10:00
Innovate UK has teamed up with ENGIE to seek out and fund innovative projects that can speed up the development of a sustainable energy transition.
Partner with Singapore on disruptive projects: apply for funding18/06/2019 09:10:00
Organisations can apply for a share of £1 million to work with Singaporean companies.
New £153 million programme to commercialise UK’s quantum tech14/06/2019 12:25:00
£153 million Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund funding, alongside £205 million from industry, will support commercialisation of quantum technologies.
£7.8 million to drive forward innovative ideas to transform railways13/06/2019 17:03:00
The UK's rail network is set to become more efficient, greener and cleaner thanks to new funding for innovative ideas.
Partner in international quantum research: apply for funding11/06/2019 13:20:00
Organisations can apply for a share of £1 million to develop AI and quantum technologies in international partnerships.
Revitalising UK aerospace: funding for projects11/06/2019 09:10:00
Projects that could bolster the UK aerospace industry through smart, more energy-efficient technologies are invited to participate in a regular call for ideas.
Innovate UK releases 2019-2020 Delivery Plan10/06/2019 15:12:00
Innovate UK sets out plan to drive sustainable economic growth through business-led innovation.
Digital technology for adult social care: apply for funding04/06/2019 12:25:00
Organisations can apply for a share of up to £1.25 million to develop technology that creates more efficient and effective adult social care systems.