World-leading advances in aerospace: apply for funding
Organisations can put forward ideas for new design and propulsion technologies that could drive growth in the UK aerospace industry.
The world-leading UK aerospace industry has a turnover of £35 billion and directly employs 123,000 people. It needs to keep innovating to stay ahead in global markets.
Organisations are invited to express an interest in a £150 million annual competition that supports game-changing innovations in aerospace design, manufacture and propulsion. The best ideas will have a chance to apply for funding.
The investment is part of the £3.9 billion UK Aerospace Technology Institute programme, a partnership between government and industry managed by Innovate UK, the Aerospace Technology Institute and the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy.
Developing aircraft of the future
The competition is seeking expressions of interest in funding for industrial research or capital investment projects in line with the UK Aerospace Technology Strategy.
Priority areas include whole aircraft design and integration, aerostructures, advanced systems and propulsion technologies.
Project themes are detailed in the UK Aerospace Technology Strategy, and include:
- improving UK whole-aircraft design and system integration
- future-proofing advanced systems technologies in the UK – specifically, smart, connected and more electric aircrafts
- securing the UK’s world-leading position in large, complex aviation structures, particularly wings
- developing more efficient propulsion technologies, including large turbofans
- the competition opens on 7 October 2019, and the closing date is 23 October 2019
- UK-based businesses, research and technology groups and academic institutions can be the project lead, depending on the project type
- businesses could get up to 70% of their costs for industry-led research projects, or up to 50% of their costs for capital investment projects
- an online briefing event will be held on 11 October 2019
Latest News from
CAVForth: creating Europe's first full-sized autonomous bus08/09/2020 09:10:00
The project has been part-funded by £4.5 million from the government’s Centre for Connected and Autonomous Vehicles (CCAV) and Innovate UK.
5StarS: developing a security framework for autonomous and connected vehicles07/09/2020 15:38:00
Government funds project to develop an automotive cybersecurity assurance framework.
MuCCA: government-backed collision avoidance system achieves world first07/09/2020 13:33:00
Demonstration of collision avoidance system sees 2 vehicles steer around stationary car without human assistance.
Aurrigo makes breakthrough in driverless pods technology07/09/2020 12:25:00
Coventry-based company has also created new jobs to meet global demand for driverless pods.
Humandrive: vehicle completes 230 mile, self-navigated drive across the UK07/09/2020 09:10:00
Government-backed autonomous vehicles project has achieved its goal of sending a Nissan LEAF on a self-navigated 'Grand Drive'.
Innovate UK launches four-year design strategy21/08/2020 09:10:00
The UK’s innovation agency, Innovate UK, yesterday published a strategy that seeks to encourage and support excellent design in innovation.
Foundation industries: building a resilient recovery: apply for funding06/08/2020 09:10:00
UK-registered businesses can apply for a share of £8 million in grant funding for projects supporting the recovery and growth of foundation industries.
Innovative nuclear competition launch – are you ready for the challenge?28/07/2020 09:12:00
A £3.9 million competition was launched yesterday to find innovative ways to sort and segregate radioactive waste at some of the UK’s oldest nuclear sites.