World-leading advances in aerospace: apply for funding
Organisations can put forward ideas for new design and propulsion technologies that could drive growth in the UK aerospace industry.
The world-leading UK aerospace industry has a turnover of £35 billion and directly employs 123,000 people. It needs to keep innovating to stay ahead in global markets.
Organisations are invited to express an interest in a £150 million annual competition that supports game-changing innovations in aerospace design, manufacture and propulsion. The best ideas will have a chance to apply for funding.
The investment is part of the £3.9 billion UK Aerospace Technology Institute programme, a partnership between government and industry managed by Innovate UK, the Aerospace Technology Institute and the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy.
Developing aircraft of the future
The competition is seeking expressions of interest in funding for industrial research or capital investment projects in line with the UK Aerospace Technology Strategy.
Priority areas include whole aircraft design and integration, aerostructures, advanced systems and propulsion technologies.
Project themes are detailed in the UK Aerospace Technology Strategy, and include:
- improving UK whole-aircraft design and system integration
- future-proofing advanced systems technologies in the UK – specifically, smart, connected and more electric aircrafts
- securing the UK’s world-leading position in large, complex aviation structures, particularly wings
- developing more efficient propulsion technologies, including large turbofans
- the competition opens on 7 October 2019, and the closing date is 23 October 2019
- UK-based businesses, research and technology groups and academic institutions can be the project lead, depending on the project type
- businesses could get up to 70% of their costs for industry-led research projects, or up to 50% of their costs for capital investment projects
- an online briefing event will be held on 11 October 2019
Latest News from
Work with China to transform food production: apply for funding15/10/2019 09:10:00
Businesses can apply for a share of up to £5 million to work with Chinese partners on developing new smart farming technologies.
New Innovate UK brand launched as part of unified UKRI identity11/10/2019 09:10:00
A new brand for Innovate UK was launched yesterday as part of a unified identity for UK Research and Innovation (UKRI).
Revolutionising cancer treatment with genomics: apply for funding07/10/2019 12:15:00
Businesses can apply for a share of up to £5.4 million for projects that apply whole genome sequencing to the analysis of cancer.
Smart funding: open to innovative businesses from any sector03/10/2019 09:10:00
Businesses can apply for a share of £25 million in Smart funding to support innovative ideas with commercial potential in any area of the economy.
Groundbreaking technologies for aerospace: apply for funding02/10/2019 09:10:00
SMEs can apply for a share of £2.5 million to develop innovative technologies that could win new business in the aerospace sector.
Fighting poverty in Africa with agritech: apply for funding01/10/2019 12:20:00
Organisations can apply for a share of £5 million to work with partners in Africa on innovative agriculture and food projects that alleviate poverty.
Developing the future of flight: take part in the challenge01/10/2019 09:10:00
Businesses are invited to join the workshop, find partners and apply for funding - to help revolutionise aviation as part of a £125 million challenge.
Transforming the way we produce food: apply for business funding30/09/2019 09:10:00
Businesses can apply for a share of up to £20 million to support ambitious projects developing new and more efficient ways to produce the UK’s food.