World-leading advances in aerospace: apply for funding
Organisations can put forward ideas for new design and propulsion technologies that could drive growth in the UK aerospace industry.
The world-leading UK aerospace industry has a turnover of £35 billion and directly employs 123,000 people. It needs to keep innovating to stay ahead in global markets.
Organisations are invited to express an interest in a £150 million annual competition that supports game-changing innovations in aerospace design, manufacture and propulsion. The best ideas will have a chance to apply for funding.
The investment is part of the £3.9 billion UK Aerospace Technology Institute programme, a partnership between government and industry managed by Innovate UK, the Aerospace Technology Institute and the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy.
Developing aircraft of the future
The competition is seeking expressions of interest in funding for industrial research or capital investment projects in line with the UK Aerospace Technology Strategy.
Priority areas include whole aircraft design and integration, aerostructures, advanced systems and propulsion technologies.
Project themes are detailed in the UK Aerospace Technology Strategy, and include:
- improving UK whole-aircraft design and system integration
- future-proofing advanced systems technologies in the UK – specifically, smart, connected and more electric aircrafts
- securing the UK’s world-leading position in large, complex aviation structures, particularly wings
- developing more efficient propulsion technologies, including large turbofans
- the competition opens on 7 October 2019, and the closing date is 23 October 2019
- UK-based businesses, research and technology groups and academic institutions can be the project lead, depending on the project type
- businesses could get up to 70% of their costs for industry-led research projects, or up to 50% of their costs for capital investment projects
- an online briefing event will be held on 11 October 2019
Latest News from
Business Secretary appoints Indro Mukerjee as new Innovate UK CEO06/05/2021 14:22:00
Indro Mukerjee appointed as new CEO of Innovate UK to help develop the UK's innovation capability and drive investment in research and development.
£20 million fund to propel green shipbuilding launched23/03/2021 09:10:00
Government invests £20 million to develop innovative zero emission vessels and clean port infrastructure.
Dstl and DASA speaking at Innovate Local26/02/2021 14:12:00
Dstl and DASA will be speaking at Innovate Local: Southern Pioneers on 8 to 9 March 2021.
Power roll: bringing cheap solar power to Africa and India04/02/2021 09:10:00
Supported by Innovate UK, Power Roll is developing, testing, and implementing lightweight, low-cost, flexible solar mini grid systems in India and Africa.
Innovate UK news has moved27/01/2021 09:10:00
Businesses can now find Innovate UK stories about new initiatives and funding on the UKRI website.
£134 million boost to help UK businesses build back greener05/11/2020 12:25:00
Businesses across the UK are set to benefit from £134 million investment, enabling ground-breaking clean growth projects develop new technologies and secure new jobs.
First phase of new UKRI website launched yesterday30/10/2020 09:10:00
UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) is creating a new, simpler and better website following intensive user research with businesses and researchers.
Investing in foundation industries: help to back innovators20/10/2020 09:10:00
Investors can join a programme to support businesses carrying out innovative projects that aim to reduce resources and energy use in key industries.