World-leading advances in aerospace: apply for funding
Organisations can put forward ideas for new design and propulsion technologies that could drive growth in the UK aerospace industry.
The world-leading UK aerospace industry has a turnover of £35 billion and directly employs 123,000 people. It needs to keep innovating to stay ahead in global markets.
Organisations are invited to express an interest in a £150 million annual competition that supports game-changing innovations in aerospace design, manufacture and propulsion. The best ideas will have a chance to apply for funding.
The investment is part of the £3.9 billion UK Aerospace Technology Institute programme, a partnership between government and industry managed by Innovate UK, the Aerospace Technology Institute and the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy.
Developing aircraft of the future
The competition is seeking expressions of interest in funding for industrial research or capital investment projects in line with the UK Aerospace Technology Strategy.
Priority areas include whole aircraft design and integration, aerostructures, advanced systems and propulsion technologies.
Project themes are detailed in the UK Aerospace Technology Strategy, and include:
- improving UK whole-aircraft design and system integration
- future-proofing advanced systems technologies in the UK – specifically, smart, connected and more electric aircrafts
- securing the UK’s world-leading position in large, complex aviation structures, particularly wings
- developing more efficient propulsion technologies, including large turbofans
- the competition opens on 7 October 2019, and the closing date is 23 October 2019
- UK-based businesses, research and technology groups and academic institutions can be the project lead, depending on the project type
- businesses could get up to 70% of their costs for industry-led research projects, or up to 50% of their costs for capital investment projects
- an online briefing event will be held on 11 October 2019
Latest News from
Improving farm productivity in UK and Canada: apply for funding22/01/2020 13:20:00
Businesses can apply for a share of £2 million to work with Canadian partners on new technologies that could improve farm productivity and reduce pollution.
Developing sustainable plastic packaging: apply for funding20/01/2020 10:25:00
Businesses can apply for a share of up to £37 million to support projects that look at ways to radically reduce waste from plastic packaging.
First of a Kind 2020 launches to find this century’s Brunel13/01/2020 13:12:00
Department for Transport and Innovate UK launch competition to drive innovation on the railways.
Trialling new rail technologies: apply for contracts13/01/2020 09:10:00
Organisations can apply for a share of up to £9.4 million to show how new technologies could improve rail services for passengers and operators.
Helping farmers to work more efficiently: apply for funding20/12/2019 16:43:00
Businesses can apply for a share of up to £15 million to look at more efficient and environmentally friendly ways to produce the UK’s food.
Improving railway security and safety: apply for contracts20/12/2019 13:10:00
Organisations can apply for a share of £2.8 million for projects that help Network Rail to deter trespass or to automate identification of trackside structures.
Barrnon and Wood move to next stage of innovation competition27/11/2019 16:22:00
Two consortia, led by Barrnon and Wood, have reached the next round of an innovation competition that could help decommission highly radioactive facilities at Sellafield.
Game-changing ideas for aerospace: apply for funding14/11/2019 12:20:00
Organisations can put forward innovative ideas for design and propulsion technologies that could drive growth in the UK aerospace industry.