World-leading projects in UK aerospace: funding for best ideas
Organisations are invited to propose innovative projects that could benefit the UK aerospace industry through smarter, more energy-efficient technologies.
There is up to £150 million for innovative aerospace projects in a series of regular calls for ideas.
Organisations can submit an express an interest in pursuing an innovative project in aerospace design and manufacture. Successful applicants in this stage will then be invited to apply for funding.
Innovate UK is working with the Aerospace Technology Institute (ATI) and the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy to coordinate the programme.
Funding is part of a £3.9 billion UK aerospace and technology investment between government and industry, which aims to maintain and grow the UK’s position as a world leader in civil aerospace.
This latest call follows the government’s announcement of its aerospace sector deal. The deal will support the global move towards hybrid-electric and electric propulsion and allow the UK to best exploit emerging opportunities and markets.
Projects must strengthen aerospace industry
The competition is for industrial research projects and capital investment.
- strengthen the UK’s role in whole-aircraft design and system integration
- build smarter, more connected and electrified aircraft and technologies that lead to high-value opportunities
- help the UK to become a global leader in large, complex aviation structures, particularly wings
- develop new propulsion technologies, such as large turbofans
- the competition is open, and the deadline for expressions of interest is at midday on 2 January 2019
- projects can be led by a UK-based business, research and technology organisation or an academic organisation
- organisations must sign up to the ATI framework agreement
- applicants need to show that their expected costs and timescales are in proportion with the project’s objectives
- businesses could attract up to 70% of their project costs for industrial research projects and up to 50% for capital investment
- a briefing event will be held on 17 December 2018, where organisations can find out more and how to submit a quality application
Aviation and airspace policy, airport expansion, airline routes, passenger experience and air accidents.
Latest News from
Evaluating medical innovations: apply for funding17/04/2019 12:25:00
Organisations can apply for a share of £1.5 million to help evaluate medical devices in real-world clinical settings.
Transforming UK aerospace: funding for projects16/04/2019 14:20:00
Projects that could strengthen the UK aerospace industry through new technologies are invited to participate in a regular competition.
Four leading edge demonstrators to jumpstart energy revolution04/04/2019 09:10:00
Managing energy though machine learning and new lithium ion battery storage are among the 4 innovative projects announced yesterday.
£9m awarded to breakthrough digital health technologies29/03/2019 15:25:00
Patients to benefit from AI, machine learning and hand-held devices as newly-funded digital projects by pioneering companies point to future of healthcare
Next step in photonic technologies: apply for funding28/03/2019 09:10:00
Organisations can apply for a share of £2 million to develop advanced photonic technologies in international partnerships.
Innovate UK welcomes global firm to Cell & Gene Catapult centre27/03/2019 09:10:00
TCR2 Therapeutics will become the first international organisation to work with the Cell and Gene Therapy Catapult manufacturing centre.
Monitoring housing for better health: apply for funding26/03/2019 09:15:00
Organisations can apply for a share of £1.25 million to develop new ways to monitor domestic heat and energy.
Creating the 5G network: apply for funding19/03/2019 14:10:00
Businesses can apply for a share of £1 million for international partnerships that will help develop 5G internet connectivity.